How To Report A Change In Income Or Household Size To Medicaid

Follow Us

Written by: Benavest

BenaVest is an Insurance Agency dedicated to providing knowledge, services of Insurances like Health, Life, and Retirement. We want dedicate our time to bringing you the best services possible.


July 23, 2021

Are you enrolled in Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program? Depending on your household size and amount of income you make, your financial obligation for your Medicaid plan could change too.


To report these kinds of changes, you will need to contact your state’s Medicaid office. Here’s how to do it!


Changes to Income

An application for Medicaid requires you to disclose the amount of income your household generates. However, accidents happen and incomes can change at a moment’s notice! Significant changes to your income will require you to report it to your state’s Medicaid office.


Medical eligibility is determined based on MAGI (modified adjusted gross income). Because of this, there are a few cases that your income change will not need to be reported. 


These cases are: 

  • Inheritance
  • Child support received 
  • A teenage child who has a job earning less than $6,300
  • Educational scholarships for tuition and fees.


Changes in household size

Your household size impacts your Medicaid eligibility and what you may need to contribute financially to your Medicaid coverage. So when the size of your household sizes differs from when you originally applied, you need to report that change.


Common household size changes include:

  • Marriage
  • Death
  • Birth
  • Divorce
  • Adoption
  • Placement of a child into foster care


How to report a change

To report a change you must contact your state’s Medicaid office. They will ask you for all the documentation they need from you and will let you know if you are still eligible for Medicaid.


Changes can also be reported through HealthCare.gov or HealthSherpa to see if you are eligible for other coverage. 


What can I do if I am no longer eligible for Medicaid?


There are several other options.

  • Marketplace/Obamacare plan. You can apply for Marketplace health insurance plans, also known as Obamacare or Affordable Care Act insurance. See plans with BenaVest.


  • COBRA. If you have recently lost your job, you will oftentimes have the option of COBRA. With COBRA you pay the full premium of the same insurance your employer purchased for you. COBRA is normally very expensive, but is a great option to continue with the coverage you already had.



Source: Healthsherpa.com


Call Now ButtonCall Us Now