Delivering an exceptional customer experience is paramount for insurance companies, yet recent J.D. Power surveys in 2022 indicate that insurers selling life and annuity products struggle with customer engagement. Additionally, a study released by the research firm last year revealed that customer satisfaction with auto insurance providers has plateaued, despite substantial investments. To address these challenges and enhance the policyholder experience, here are some essential strategies:
1. Promptly respond to quote requests and send a welcome email: Act swiftly when a customer seeks a quote, ensuring competitors don’t outpace you. If you close the deal directly, follow up with an automated welcome email that directs customers to a secure portal or platform. This fosters a safe environment for accessing information while capturing contact details and consent preferences.
2. Express gratitude for consent to communicate: As you obtain contact information from new customers or receive updates from existing policyholders, promptly send an automated message expressing gratitude and confirming their consent to communicate through authorized channels. Closing the loop on consent is vital for maintaining accurate contact information and setting clear expectations for future interactions.
3. Maintain frequent but relevant communication: Recognize that insurance is often seen as a necessary purchase, so avoid assuming that customers want constant communication simply because they’ve shared their contact details. Utilize automated communication technology to reach out when you have valuable and relevant information, such as policy optimization tips or weather event preparations. However, be mindful not to overwhelm customers with excessive outreach.
4. Identify crucial touchpoints in the policyholder journey: Stay attentive to significant milestones throughout the customer relationship where education and reminders can be beneficial. Examples include suggesting optimal contribution increases for annuity policies or sending premium due date reminders. Coordinate internal communication channels to prevent duplication, wasted resources, and confusion on the policyholders’ end.
5. Enable seamless transitions across communication channels: Ensure that policyholders can move effortlessly between text, phone, your platform, and other channels, depending on the task at hand. Simplify the process of obtaining necessary assistance, eliminating frustration and multiple points of contact.
6. Facilitate easy consent management: Recognize that customer needs and communication preferences evolve over time. Provide a straightforward method for customers to give or withdraw consent and specify new communication preferences for automated outreach. This ensures that you have the necessary permissions and up-to-date contact information for meaningful conversations that remain relevant to policyholders’ lives.
7. Add value and emphasize your brand promise: Be proactive in supporting policyholders before they encounter issues. Consider notifying them about approaching catastrophic weather events, offering safety tips, or reaching out when their insurance needs may have changed. Leveraging automated technology allows insurers to demonstrate their commitment to policyholders and deliver on their brand promise.
Consistently delivering an exceptional customer experience is vital for insurers to remain competitive. Effective communication plays a central role in enhancing the policyholder journey. By incorporating these strategies into your operations, you can establish meaningful connections with customers and provide value throughout their entire experience with your company.